|Create Grants||1 June 2021||closed 1pm Monday 13 September 2021||early November 2021|
The Copyright Agency’s Create Grants offer opportunities for mid-career and established creative writers and visual artists to create and develop new work. The grants provide a living allowance to a writer or a visual artist to write or create a new work for publication or exhibition.
Create Grants do not support academics to create work aimed specifically at the scholarly or academic market.
Projects should span up to twelve months.
Applications are assessed by a panel of independent peers from the writing, publishing and visual arts sectors.
These grants will support projects to start after November 2021.
Amount of grant: $10,000, $15,000 or $20,000
Visit our activities supported page for a full list of what the Cultural Fund will and won’t support.
Who can apply
- Authors with at least two full-length books of their own creative writing (including professionally presented plays) professionally published in the following literary genres: fiction, literary non-fiction, children’s and young adult literature, picture book illustration, poetry, graphic novels, and writing for performance (plays).
- Visual artists must have a minimum of five years’ professional experience with a minimum of five separate solo exhibitions in public or commercial galleries (this should not include group shows).
- Applicants must be Australian citizens or permanent residents.
- Applicants must have acquitted any overdue Cultural Fund grants to be eligible for further funding.
How to apply
- You must apply via the SmartyGrants online grants platform.
- Applications must be submitted by the closing date via the SmartyGrants online system.
- Applicants may submit only one application per round to the Cultural Fund.
- Late applications will not be accepted.
- Incomplete applications will not be assessed.
You must provide a clear and compelling outline of your creative project. Your application must include a project description, an estimated publication or exhibition date, and a list of previously published books, or, for artists, a list of solo exhibitions.
You must submit the following support material with your application as a PDF via the online system:
- A one page CV outlining your professional publication history
- A sample of your writing (up to 10 pages) preferably from your new work or from previously published work
- A letter of endorsement from a publisher expressing interest in publishing you work (this is optional)
- A one page CV outlining your professional exhibition history
- A sample of your work (up to 10 images) preferably from your new body of work or from previously exhibited work
- A letter of endorsement from a gallerist expressing interest in exhibiting your work (this is optional)
IMPORTANT INFORMATION AND GRANT OBLIGATIONS
Successful applicants must submit an acquittal report on their funded activities within eight weeks of the completion of the project via the SmartyGrants online system. This report should include a description of the funded activities and detail the success or otherwise of the activity.
Applicants who have not acquitted any outstanding completed grants cannot apply until they have successfully acquitted their previous grant.
More information and contact
For further information, see our Frequently Asked Questions.
Please contact us if you have any questions about the grants via email firstname.lastname@example.orgShare Tweet