What does FLEX do?
FLEX is a cloud-based online tool that provides a simpler, faster way to share copyright-compliant course reading material with students.
What does FLEX cost?
FLEX is available for individually licensed Higher Education, VET & ELICOS providers as part of their existing Statutory Education Licence agreement with Copyright Agency.
What are the benefits of using FLEX?
Librarians and others who provide content to students can quickly and confidently:
- upload their reading extracts to the cloud-based repository
- access the scanned extracts of other institutions using FLEX
- access extracts from digital original files supplied by a growing number of publishers including Cengage, Allen & Unwin, McGraw-Hill, John Wiley, Pearson, Oxford University Press, Bloomsbury Publishing, Harper Collins, NewSouth
- order high quality scans directly from the British Library (over 80m documents available)
- assign content to students via secure digital links
- save time and duplication of effort
Students can easily access the content links via a browser window. No special reader is required – all they need is an internet connection.
How is FLEX accessed?
FLEX can be accessed by the institution’s staff with a username and password. Content links are shared with students by copying and pasting them into the institution’s online learning platform.
How long does it take to set FLEX up?
You can start using FLEX as soon as you have access, which takes up to one business day from application.
Why has Copyright Agency developed FLEX?
FLEX was developed to make it even easier to use copyright material under the Statutory Education Licence through an online platform that automates compliance checks. Data on usage helps us make more accurate payments to our members. These members are the educational authors and publishers that provide the pedagogically-rich material that private education providers and TAFEs use every day to teach their students.
Will Copyright Agency monitor data about how FLEX is used?
The Copyright Agency will access the usage data generated by FLEX to improve the accuracy of the copyright payments we make to our members. Use of FLEX does not have any privacy implications as it does not access any PII (Personally Identifiable Information) of the students accessing links.