Join us for the 2020 Miles Franklin winner announcement!
It’s almost time to find out the winner of the 2020 Miles Franklin Literary Award!
Perpetual, the trustee of the Award, will make the announcement live on YouTube at 4pm (AEST) on Thursday 16 July. We are thrilled to welcome back Cassie McCullagh, presenter of Focus (ABC Radio Sydney) and The Bookshelf (ABC Radio National), to host the virtual event.
To make sure you don’t miss out, click here to watch it live on YouTube!
This year’s shortlist represents a powerhouse of literary talent. At the time of its announcement, Mitchell Librarian (State Library of NSW) Richard Neville said: “The books on this year’s shortlist, diverse in form and tone, all explore the effects of trauma. From familial stories of neglect and abuse to the national story of racial and cultural dispossession, these novels demonstrate powerfully how past trauma continues to inform the present.”
The six novels vying for the prestigious $60,000 prize are:
- The White Girl by Tony Birch (University of Queensland Press)
- Islands by Peggy Frew (Allen & Unwin)
- No One by John Hughes (UWA Publishing)
- The Returns by Philip Salom (Transit Lounge)
- Exploded View by Carrie Tiffany (Text Publishing)
- The Yield by Tara June Winch (Penguin Random House)
If you missed the live shortlist announcement, you can rewatch it in its entirety on YouTube.
We’re excited for you to join us as we celebrate this year’s winner!