Licences & Permission

Most text and images are covered by copyright. So if you are using someone else’s text or images, you usually need permission (a licence).

The Copyright Agency manages 3 types of licences:

Educational (Statutory) licences

Educational licences are set out within the Copyright Act 1968 (the Act) and cover educational institutions such as schools and universities. The Copyright Agency’s role is to administer the licences, collect and distribute royalties, and negotiate some of the terms on behalf of copyright owners. Download this infographic – Why Should I Care About Copyright? to see the how the education copying scheme (statutory licence) works for schools.

Independent Training Colleges and Registered Training Organisations (RTOs)

In addition to arrangements with peak bodies for schools and universities, the Copyright Agency also has individual agreements with more than 1,000 other educational institutions, such as private colleges and TAFEs.

Commercial licences

Many organisations choose to take out a Commercial Licence to free their business activities from the risk of copyright infringement. The Copyright Agency sets the terms and administers these licences.

The Copyright Agency offers pay-per-use licences for: 

And annual licences for:

Go to Rights Portal to price a licence to suit your requirements.

Government licences

The Copyright Act enables Commonwealth, State and Territory governments (the Crown) and persons authorised in writing by the Crown to make an unlimited number of uses of copyright material for the services of government.

Copyright Agency provides these government agencies or department with an indemnity to ensure your department or agency is protected against legal proceedings by having pre-determined terms for the use of copyright material. Additionally, since Copyright Agency has been declared by the Copyright Tribunal as the collecting society for government copies of works and published editions of works, government departments and agencies are no longer required to notify copyright owners of use when they have entered into an agreement with Copyright Agency.

Quasi-Government licences

If your organisation is not part of the Crown or authorised in writing by the Crown, or sometimes does not copy for the services of the Crown – the Copyright Agency’s Government Licensing team can arrange a licence.

See more information on quasi-government bodies.


Some works aren’t covered by some of the licences we offer as agent for our members. These exclusions do not apply to educational institutions and government departments and agencies covered by statutory licences. See excluded works.

Share Tweet