Educational Licences

The Australian Government has appointed the Copyright Agency to manage the education copying scheme (statutory licence).

The licence, set out in the Copyright Act, allows teachers to copy and share text and images in ways that usually require permission provided that fair compensation is made to the creators of the content.

In addition to arrangements with peak bodies for schools and universities negotiated through Copyright Advisory Group – Schools (CAG) and Universities Australia, the Copyright Agency also has individual agreements with more than 1,000 other education providers, including: private independent colleges, RTOs, training arms, community colleges and kindergartens. Licences are required by Independent Education institutions where no agreement exists. Find out more about getting a licence for Independent Education Institutions.

About the Education Copying Scheme (Statutory Licence)Copyright Info for Licence Holders

Under the education copying scheme, Australian teachers can copy and communicate text, images and print music without a copyright clearance if:

  • It is for educational purposes
    Copying or sharing must only be for educational purposes. If it is also for other purposes (e.g. if a copy is made available to the general public), then the licence does not apply. This includes copying and sharing content in connection with a course of instruction, and copying content for the library’s collection.
  • They work for an educational institution that is is covered by the Part VB educational statutory licence.

The statutory licence allows the use of text and images from any source or format:

  • digital or hardcopy
  • online or offline
  • Australian or foreign content
  • published or unpublished content

The Government has also appointed Screenrights to manage the licence that allows educational institutions to copy and share broadcast content, such as documentaries shown on television. There are also arrangements in place with APRA|AMCOS for music licences.

The education copying scheme (statutory licence) allows any form of ‘reproduction’ or ‘communication’. This includes adding to or changing the content, or presenting it in a different context. The licence doesn’t apply to translations from one language to another, or to a ‘dramatic version’ of a non-dramatic work (such as screenplay based on a short story), or vice-versa (e.g. a novel based on a film).

For more information about what can and can’t be copied for Australian schools and TAFEs, visit the Smartcopying website.

3 February 2017


Educational Licensing for Schools

Details of the agreement with the Copyright Advisory Group – Schools (CAG) for schools to copy content under the Educational Statutory Licence.


Educational Licensing for Universities

Details of the current agreement between the Copyright Agency and University Australia.