The Cultural Fund is the philanthropic arm of the Copyright Agency.
Our members commit 1.5% of revenue every year to support vital grants for Australian writers and visual artists and to enhance the profile of our dynamic writing, publishing and visual arts sectors.
With an annual budget of approximately $2m, we support our members, writers, visual artists, publishers, teachers and key industry stakeholders to create, award, present, publish, and promote work by Australian writers and visual artists that connects with audiences.
We encourage new partnerships with the education and cultural sectors and partner with other philanthropic bodies to support writers and visual artists.
Through Reading Australia, our flagship portal for Australian teachers, we create curriculum-mapped units of work for teachers, by teachers, to help introduce books by Australian writers into classrooms.
Our priorities for 2021/22 are:
- Ensure Australian writers and visual artists are better supported and paid appropriately for their creative endeavours
- Offer Create Grants to Australian writers and visual artists to create new work
- Offer career-sustaining Fellowships for mid-career and established Australian authors
- Support Australian teachers with a dedicated Reading Australia Fellowship for English and literacy teachers
- Partner with significant visual arts organisations through Copyright Agency Partnerships, a new, annual series to support major commissions for mid-career and established visual artists in partnership with 4A Centre for Contemporary Asian Art; the Australian Centre for Contemporary Art; and the Institute for Modern Art.
- Support significant national organisations to create opportunities for Australian writers, journalists, editors, picture book illustrators, visual artists and English and literacy teachers with two rounds of funding for organisations
- Support leading organisations to build literacy skills for children and young adults
- Support industry collaborations to benefit writers and visual artists and which raise the profile of reading, writing, publishing or the visual arts in general
As our funding priorities and grant programs change regularly, intending applicants are encouraged to check our website and contact the Cultural Fund before applying.
|Fellowship||Reading Australia Fellowship for Teachers of English and Literacy||closed 1pm Monday 12 April 2021||early August 2021|
|Organisations||Cultural Fund – Round One||closed Monday 26 April 2021||early July 2021|
|Individuals||Copyright Agency Partnerships||closed Friday 25 June 2021||early August 2021|
|Fellowship||Author Fellowship||closed 1pm Monday 28 June 2021||mid-August 2021|
|Fellowship||Fellowship for Non-Fiction Writing||closed 1pm Monday 28 June 2021||mid-August 2021|
|Fellowship||Fellowship for a Visual Artist||Please refer to Copyright Agency Partnerships|
|Individuals||Create Grants||closed 1pm Monday 13 September 2021||early November 2021|
|Organisations||Cultural Fund – Round Two||closed 1pm Monday 11 October 2021||early December 2021|