The Cultural Fund is the philanthropic arm of the Copyright Agency.
Our members commit 1.5% of revenue every year to support vital grants for Australian writers and visual artists and to enhance the profile of our dynamic writing, publishing and visual arts sectors.
We fund mid-career and established Australian writers and visual artists to create new work; and support publishers, literary magazines and journals, and key industry stakeholders to create income generating opportunities for writers and visual artists and projects that connect with readers and audiences.
We encourage new partnerships with the education and cultural sectors and partner with other philanthropic bodies to support writers and visual artists.
The Cultural Fund supports a small number of major writers’ festivals through an invitation-only process. In 2023 these include Adelaide Writers’ Week, Brisbane Writers’ Festival, Byron Writers’ Festival, Canberra Writers’ Festival, Melbourne Writers Festival, NT Writers’ Festival, Perth Literature and Ideas Weekend, and Sydney Writers’ Festival. This support is specifically earmarked for writers’ fees for a small number of sessions and festivals must pay ASA rates to participating writers.
Through Reading Australia, our flagship portal for Australian teachers, we create curriculum-mapped units of work for teachers, by teachers, to help introduce books by Australian writers into classrooms.
Our priorities are:
- Ensure Australian writers and visual artists are better supported and paid appropriately for their creative endeavours
- We encourage all applicants to pay industry rates to participating creators
- Offer Create Grants to Australian writers and visual artists to create new work
- Offer career-sustaining Fellowships for mid-career and established Australian authors
- Support Australian teachers with a dedicated Reading Australia Fellowship for English and literacy teachers
- Partner with significant visual arts organisations through Copyright Agency Partnerships, a new, annual series to support major commissions for mid-career and established visual artists in partnership with 4A Centre for Contemporary Asian Art; the Australian Centre for Contemporary Art; and the Institute for Modern Art.
- Support significant national organisations through two rounds of funding a year to create opportunities for Australian writers, journalists, editors, picture book illustrators, cartoonists, graphic novelists, visual artists and English and literacy teachers
- Support Australia’s leading industry trade organisations to benefit writers and visual artists and which raise the profile of reading, writing, publishing and the visual arts
- Support leading organisations to build literacy skills for children and young adults
As our funding priorities and grant programs change regularly, intending applicants are encouraged to check our website and contact the Cultural Fund before applying.
Cultural Fund Grants and Fellowships: closing dates for 2023
|Organisations||Cultural Fund – Round One||1pm 24 April 2023||Early July 2023|
|Fellowship||Reading Australia Fellowship for Teachers of English and Literacy||1pm Monday 22 May 2023||Mid-June 2023|
|Individual/Partnership||Copyright Agency Partnerships/Institute of Modern Art||1pm 19 June 2023||Mid-August 2023|
|Fellowship||Frank Moorhouse Fellowship for Young Writers||1pm Monday 19 June 2023||October 2023|
|Fellowship||Author Fellowship||1pm 17 July 2023||October 2023|
|Fellowship||Fellowship for Non-Fiction Writing||1pm 17 July 2023||October 2023|
|Fellowship||Fellowship for a Visual Artist||Please refer to Copyright Agency Partnerships|
|Organisations||Cultural Fund – Round Two||1pm 25 September 2023||End November – early December 2023|