Visual arts opportunities for councils

March 26, 2024


Your Copyright Licence for Local Government gives your staff the freedom to copy and share third party literary content, such as newspapers, journals, graphs, research papers and more.

Did you know that Copyright Agency also provides other licensing services, including a dedicated team of Visual Arts experts that can assist in sourcing and licensing artworks to help bring vibrant arts and cultural projects to life in your local community?

Through the arts and architecture, local councils can play a pivotal role in developing the creative sector, as well as driving economic and social outcomes. Our Visual Arts team regularly work with local government staff including planners and designers of public spaces, cultural development officers, museum and gallery managers, arts and creative program managers, and Reconciliation Action Plan officers.

We can manage the entire licensing process – from matching the right visual artist to your project, and ethically licensing the artwork, to facilitating approvals, and ensuring the artist is fairly compensated.

Five examples of how our Visual Arts team could assist you:

Architectural features
We work closely with clients and artists to transform existing artworks into decals, laser-cut screens or etched into stone to create stunning architectural features.

image credit: Andrea Pindan’s Healing Connections – Coast to Country at the Royal Far West Headquarters © Andrea Pindan / Copyright Agency

Catalogues or merchandise for gallery exhibitions
License artworks from exhibitions at your gallery, museum or public art space for an exhibition catalogue, or to create memorable merchandise. We work closely with regional galleries and councils and offer a range of licenses to suit your needs.

Image credit: Various licensing projects by Copyright Agency. Artworks © The Artists / Copyright Agency

Exhibition collateral
Artwork featuring in an upcoming exhibition can be licensed for signage or other promotional material. We also offer annual digital agreements for online collections and social media.

Image credit: John Mawurndjul exhibition banners hang from the Art Gallery of South Australia © John Mawurndjul / Copyright Agency

Reconciliation Action Plan
We represent over 5,000 Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander artists, with many in remote communities where around 22% of people are engaged in arts and crafts. Licensing artwork for your RAP is a meaningful way to support First Nations communities. By licensing artwork through Copyright Agency, you can be sure you are following best practice, respecting the artist’s rights, and that artists or beneficiaries receive fair payment for the use of their artwork.

image credit: Copyright Agency RAP 2018-2020. Artwork: Albert Namatjira, Hermannsburg, 1951 (detail) © Namatjira Trust / Copyright Agency

Annual reports, guides or magazines
Artworks can be licensed for use as cover images for a report booklet, guides, magazine or PDF; or as features on your website. Using licensed artworks will make your documents stand out, and show your commitment to culture.

image credit: Lin Onus, Barmah Forest, 1994 featured in the Australia State of the Environment 2021 Report © Lin Onus / Copyright Agency

If you or your colleagues would like to discuss options and budgets for licensing, please get in touch with our Visual Arts experts.

Contact the team on (02) 9394 7661 or email