Online teaching & COVID-19

The statutory education licence allows education institutions to prepare and deliver materials to students for online learning. Online teaching is not new, but many education institutions are now delivering it for the first time due to COVID-19.

For materials containing text and images, there are four main requirements: see here.

PDFs of entire books

If you need to provide an entire PDF to students to achieve an education outcome, first check if a suitable eBook version, with suitable licence arrangements, is available for purchase. If it is, you should purchase copies for your students. People who create content need to be supported so that they can continue to produce the content that will needed in the future.

If a suitable version is not available for purchase, you may make a PDF of an entire book available to the students who need it, provided that you ensure it is only used by your students for their education (see suggested steps here). Content creators are understandably concerned that their usual income will be substantially reduced during this pandemic if free supply replaces existing income streams. They also wish to ensure their content is kept secure and only used for educational purposes.

Reading stories online

See special arrangements agreed by representatives of Australian authors, publishers and schools here.

In summary:

  • use live streaming where you can
  • you can make a recording available online provided:
    • it is ‘view only’, so that no further copies can be made or downloaded
    • wherever possible, it is only made available using password protected access in a digital teaching environment (not made available generally on the internet)
    • you give the name of the book, author, illustrator and publisher at the beginning of the recording

These arrangements are just for the COVID-19 emergency period, and recordings cannot be retained after that.

This information is for guidance only. It is not legal advice.

6 October 2020

Share Tweet