Tips for a winning CREATE grant application
May 3, 2018 | Cultural Fund
CREATE grants offer opportunities for mid-career and established creative writers and visual artists to develop new work by providing time to write and create. The deadline for applications is 5pm on 18 June, so we’ve prepared these tips to help you prepare a winning application.
Tips for a good application
- Firstly, do your research. Carefully read through the CREATE grants information on the Copyright Agency website. There are some eligibility criteria.
- Read the application in SmartyGrants You do not have to complete the application in one sitting. You can save and return again to submit before the deadline. We have provided a summary below on the types of information we seek in the application.
- Read the FAQs.
- Discuss your project with the Cultural Fund team by calling 02 9394 7600 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Make your best case and answer each question succinctly and clearly. Spell check your application before you submit it.
- Make sure you submit support material. Send in your professional CV and samples of your work.
- Don’t leave it to the last minute to start your application or to submit your application.
- Check the closing date and cut-off time.
- Submit your application early.
- There are no exceptions to the deadline, so plan ahead.
The Application Process
In the SmartyGrants online application form, we ask information, such as:
- Whether you are applying for $10,000, $15,000 or $20,000 to create new work.
- When your project will be completed by.
- Either a date for publication (for authors) or for exhibition (for artists).
- Whether you have been previously funded and how you heard about our grants.
Then we ask you about your project title, a brief description of your creative practice and an outline of the new work you plan to create if successful.
To support your application, you must provide samples of your work and a letter of endorsement or support from a publisher, editor or gallerist. Up to two PDFs can be uploaded.
Authors are asked to provide up to 10 pages from their new work or from previously published work, along with an overview or synopsis. You should also provide a list of previous publications.
Artists are asked to provide up to 10 images from their new body of work, including an overview or synopsis. You should also list previous solo and significant curated exhibitions.